Hello Strasburg Community,
Unavoidable. Frustrated. Prudent. We will need to delay the start of the school year. My wanting to be in-person for student learning on August 17th is outweighed by the number of needs that are in front of us.
Despite our best efforts and intentions, the reality of the situation is that the buildings are not ready for in-person learning. Additional time is necessary to ensure that students and staff are in a safe environment and that staff be provided adequate time to prepare their classrooms. Our students deserve to start the school year in a positive learning environment without facing unpredictable interruptions. District leadership is committed to supporting our schools in cooperation with you. Students are our number one priority. This delay is in the best interest of the students.
Found below are points of clarification;
- The first day of learning for ALL schools will be August 31, 2022.
- All school based staff will report as directed by their Principal or Director.
- Hemphill Middle School will be utilized by school based staff to strategize, plan and prepare. We have new leadership at all of our schools, it is imperative that we maximize this opportunity to support our students when they return.
- Remote learning will not be activated.
- Daily grab and go food items will be available.
- Athletics may proceed as scheduled.
- We are assessing our instructional minutes at each building. There may be a need to extend the school day and/or school year end date. Communication will be forthcoming as the factual need unfolds.
While this is not the way we hoped to start the school year, it is a time to provide feedback, student centered support and community resiliency. The outcome will be schools that are safe, provide enhanced learning and student enjoyment of their schools. Please provide input utilizing this form as it will allow us to target opportunities, address unidentified needs and invite strategies with a student centered focus over the weeks ahead.
Based on this form’s feedback we are compiling a Q&A document that will address frequently asked questions. Delayed Start Feedback Form
Strasburg School District 31J